[Stackoverflow] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Limiting SQL query to 10,000 results by where clause only, by string field

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nik Weiss

I have an interesting issue that I'm struggling to solve.

I am retrieving data from a DB via a web API. I have direct DB access for testing, but my application will need to read the data via the API. In the API I can essentially provide the where clause for the SQL statement that retrieves my data from the table I specify for the web API. I need to retrieve the data in chunks of ~10,000 in order not to overload the server (the web service is not optimised, and gets exponentially slower the more results I retrieve). With most tables, there is a sequential numeric ID field that I can limit my queries with. So the full query looks like this:

Code:
SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE ID > 0 and ID <= 10000

I am only able to provide the where clause component of that query via the API.

Code:
ID > 0 and ID <= 10000

For one specific table, the usual ID field is not available. There is a different ID field, which also contains sequential numeric values, but the field is of type String. Since the where clause I provide to the web API is processed as some sort of prepared statement, it will not process any functions. So I cannot cast the ID to an int:

Code:
CAST(ID2 as int) > 0 and CAST(ID2 as int) <= 10000

If I use > or < comparison for string values, it follows alphabetical order, and you get annoying behavior, such as 2,000 being greater than 100,000. This breaks the logic I had been using before.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could limit my retrieves to 10,000 entries with this string ID field? I'm sure there is some logic that will do it, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around it.

Implicit casting in the where clause also returns an error:

Code:
(ID2 + 0) > 0 and (ID2 + 0) <= 10000

The values in the ID2 field range from ~140,000 to ~3,500,000.

I'd be happy to hear any ideas or suggestions! Please let me know if anything is unclear.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.