Sql Developer GUI for 10.x replacement

gregwax

Hello. I understand that the GUI sql developer for 10.x was discontinued. ( still don't know why ) and I am an Oracle and MS Sql developer.

I have tried unsuccessfully to use Squirrel to connect to openedge progress 10.1b database.

I would appreciate any hints that would assist in getting any SQl GUI program to work.

Java .jar classes etc are all new to me.

Thanks

Greg

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Squirrel is quite easy:
  1. add a new driver: name it for example OpenEdge 10.1B driver
  2. fill in exampleurl something like: jdbc:datadirect:eek:penedge://host:port;databaseName=db_name;
  3. on the tab "extra classpath" fill in:
    <progress_install_path>\java\openedge.jar
    <progress_install_path>\java\util.jar
    <progress_install_path>\java\base.jar
  4. Fill on the same tab the classname of the driver:
    com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.OpenEdgeDriver
If you did this right you see a message at the bottom like:
Driver class com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.OpenEdgeDriver sucessfully registered for driver definition: OpenEdge 10.1B driver

After this you must create an alias:
Select the just configured driver, enter the right values in hte example url (hostname, portnumer, database name) and thats it.

You can also use the db navigator in OpenEdge Architect to connect tot the database or you could use the command line utility to query the database (sqlexp is still there, only the graphical component isn;t there anymore).

HTH,

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
There are two changes you should be aware of. One is that prior to 10.x, the SQL client drivers came either with a product called SQL Client or Client Networking, i.e., they had to be purchased on a per user basis. With 10.x the drivers are available separately and free, although it can be a little obscure finding them ... talk to your rep.

The other is that somewhere in here .... don't remember exactly where ... they discontinued the graphical SQL Explorer tool. The ChUI version is still there and works. Really, there was no point in them continuing development of the graphical one since there are so many free tools which work just fine ... but you have to have gotten the driver first!

To supplement Casper's instructions, you might want to also check out the last two items at the bottom here http://www.oehive.org/node/952 which talk about the setup to use SQL on an OE database.

gregwax

Hello Casper

You should be a technical writer. I had no problem following your instructions to install the driver. Thank you very much.

I created the alias, but when I test or try to connect I get:
"OpenEdge:[DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver]A server crash is likely.

Regarding discontinuing the SQL GUI:

I work at Best Buy Corp with many different database vendors. I know that OE discontinued its Sql Explorer, but to be more helpful they could have made it easier for end users by providing a white paper on setting up several different vendor's GUIs.

Oracle's SQL Developer is out of the box compatable with several competing database vendors.

By being so closed to sharing information without having a serial number and order number to login to psn.com, they block proliferation of information and thus sacrifice potential marketing opportunities.

I am very new to OpenEdge Progress, so if I have missed the boat, please steer me straight.

Thanks again.

Greg

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure that you have the right connect string?
Do yo happen to have 64-bit Progress? I see some issues regarding this in the KB.

You probably also see in the database log file that the _sqlsrv2 proces dies...

What happens if you try to connect with the sql explorer from proenv:
Code:
sqlexp -db <databasename> -H <hostname> -S <servicename/portnumber> -user <username> -password <password>

Casper.

gregwax

Hello Mr. Casper

Whoever installed this system knew less than I did about Progress.

Your suggestion to user sqlexp.bat gave me the same error about "a server crash is likely"

I then played with the port number.

The AppServer uses port 8301.

The database-Configurations-defaultConfiguration
ODBCGroup - port 8350
MfgSysGroup - port 8300

I used port 8350 and I was able to connect. I then went into SquirrelSQL and editted everything and then BAM - I connected.

Your help and advice was fantastic. I hope Google and company scans this blog so others can be helped.

Thanks again.

Greg

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Using the right port often helps! :)

I believe there are some documents on PSDN describing all of this, but I haven't looked for them in quite a while. I know for sure there is a pretty comprehensive whitepaper on SQL security and there are a number of their newer documents which are quite detailed with embedded screen captures and the like to walk you through various kinds of setup.

So, going forward I would check on PSDN and OE Hive for pre-existing writeups that might help you.