Question Scripted AppServer/Web Broker start/stop

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I've just converted my DB startup/shutdown scripts to use proserve/proshut rather than dbman etc. Now I want to do something similar for my AppServers and Web Brokers. Having a complete mental block as to how to do it. Any pointers gratefully received :)

RealHeavyDude

As of OE10 I am not familiar with a way to start the AppServers without the AdminServer. You need to set them up in the AdminServer either by editing the ubroker.properties file manually or you use OE Management for that.

You could, though, ommit the usage of the Name Server for a direct connect from the client.

As soon as they are set up you can use the asbman command to start and stop them:

asbman -name <your_as_instance> -start|-stop|-query

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

Staff member
Thanks RHD. That sucks. I want to get rid of the AdminServer completely. My development databases reside on a USB drive. I can't remove the drive from my machine until the AdminServer is stopped, even if the DBs and Appservers etc are stopped and nothing is using the drive. The AdminServer seems to still be connected to the drive. As soon as I stop the AdminServer I can disconnect the drive. It's annoying having to go and stop the AdminServer each time I want to remove the drive. I end up having to reboot my machine every time as it's quicker. Oh well - will stick with asbman then.
As an aside, I love how when you use asbman on a web broker it tells you this is the incorrect utility to use, but starts the web broker anyway! :D

RealHeavyDude

For WebSpeed it would be wtbman instead of asbman. Never tried it though - one can still learn something every day ...

I don't understand why you can't get that to work. You should be able to start/stop the admin server regardless whether the databases are running or not as long as you use them "scripted" - meaning proserve/proshut to start/stop them.

When you remove the USB stick all you would need to do is stop the AppServers when you remove it. I'll take it that you have either placed the working directory of the AdminServer/AppServers on the USB stick or some log file craeted by these end up there. You can change the working directory and/or the destination for the log files. All of that should not be a big deal.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

Staff member
Nope, nothing about the AdminServer writes to the USB. Been through all of that. :( Ah well. Not to worry!