Question Remote Serving Of Databases

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Our development environment is running on Windows with Progress 10.2B08. We're moving to 11.x later this year hopefully, but that's the way it is for now.

We have 2 servers. One for development which is 32bit Progress, and one for the DBs which is 64bit Progress. Currently, in order to start the databases we use a batch file with the following command:

CALL "%DLC%\bin\dbman.bat" -db c_idx42_all_pws %DBSRV% -port %ADSRVPORT% -HOST %ADSRVHOST% -USER %ADSRVUSER% -PASSWORD %ADSRVPASS%

Obviously the parameters are set elsewhere but I won't share that bit. We also have a similar script to shut down the dbs remotely.

This is all well and good - it works fine - until the point where the admin server crashes due to Java heapspace errors. And crash it does. Frequently.

So the question is, is there a way to use proserve/proshut to remotely start/stop databases on another server in a similar fashion, but bypassing the admin server?

Currently, as I have the rights, I have to log on to the DB server and run the scripts from there whenever anyone needs some DBs starting and it's a bit of a pain to do so.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Obviously it is long past time for the Linux patch. Then you could just use SSH ;)

None the less... doesn't the Windows "start" command support running stuff on remote servers?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
While running proserve/proshut can "work" the Windows environment really wants you to run stuff like that as a service. Otherwise you run into the whole "that userid logged off and every process with the same id just got killed" problem. You can dodge that by creating "service accounts" that never login and only run scheduled tasks etc but it gets pretty messy.

ForEachInvoiceDelete

1. Set up a group of .bats on your DB server to do the individual/group of tasks you want to do. IE proshut bla etc etc.

2. Use powershell to remotely execute the .bat you need. (As long as your remote machine is on the same network/vpn. If you can UNC you will be fine)

Invoke-Command should do it. I can get some Sudo tomorrow if needed.

zerovian

There are numerous out of memory issues with the adminserver. But there us one main culprit and there is a hot fix for it available for it on several versions including 10.2b08.. Call tech support and tell them your problem and get the latest hotfix.

Cringer

Staff member
We have the latest hot fix zerovian. It hasn't fixed our issues. Part of the problem is that we have often have over 100 databases served on there at any one time. 9 or more databases for each customer. Obviously we only serve the ones we need, but it's often that number.

Thanks for the hints and tips everyone. I'll investigate.

Cringer

Staff member
Hiya mate thanks for asking. You know how it is - these sorts of things are non-critical and have to take a back seat to chargeable work... I'll get to it eventually but not now.