Progress Version 6

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You could try http://progress.com

Um... version 6 is, to coin a phrase, "ancient, obsolete and unsupported". Actually it's a lot worse than that... Even if you manage to get past the problem that they haven't sold it for something like 20 years you will have to deal with the media -- I'm pretty sure it only came on 5.25" floppy disks for DOS. You could get tapes for UNIX but not for DOS. And the last time I had the misfortune of trying to get something off floppy disks I spent quite a while finding a machine that still had a floppy drive only to discover that the disks themselves had degraded to unreadability. And that was quite a while ago. Things will not have improved on that front.

Why version 6? If you have the source you can run the application on OpenEdge 10.

oldguy

I am also ancient and obsolete. I first learned Progress on that version and I am looking to get a copy to refresh my memory a little bit before I move forward to the newer version. At this point I really know very little about gui apps.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
All the old stuff still works in the newer releases. Just because you /can/ do GUI doesn't mean that you have to ;)

It is actually pretty easy to get a v6 like experience with OpenEdge 10. Just open a "proenv" window and it will be just like the good old days. Type "pro" to start a single user session with the tram lines. etc.

(Ok, as shipped proenv is slightly broken -- it thinks your screen has 300 lines but it only displays 24 -- that puts all the prompts and messages out of view... to fix that click on the icon in the upper left of the window, choose "properties", then choose "layout". Change the both height values to something more reasonable -- I usually go with 48 lines and I often change the width to 132. But I have fairly big monitors (24"). Lastly click "ok" and "apply changes to startup shortcut" or some such thing if prompted.)

You won't be able to buy v6. I don't think you can buy v9 any more either -- APs can still sell it with an application but I don't think they're selling development licenses for it any more.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
To underscore Tom's point, 6.1, the last 6.x release is from 1991 http://www.oehive.org/versionhistory

Really, though, download the eval and give the current version a try. The manuals might give you a bit of a shock, since there are so many of them and each is a lot fatter than it used to be, but all the things you used to know are still there. Good to move on, though, since there are much better tools in the language than there used to be. When I think back to V6, I almost wonder how we got anything done.

If you are that far out of the loop, you could probably use a few other resources. You found ProgressTalk. Also check out communities.progress.com, peg.com, and oehive.org.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I think you are right. 6.2 must have been 1990. I think in that era that PSC was going N.0, N.2, and sometimes throwing in an N.3 if there was some special reason like a long delay for N+1 or one I think was putting in double byte support.

RealHeavyDude

There definately was a version 6.2H as the company I worked for at that time had it running on DEC ( Digital Equipment Corporation => purchased by Compaq => purchased by HP for those who are not familiar with it ) VAX stations running some VMS 5.something OS. AFAIK the installation media for VMS was a tape and for Windozw were some 20 3.5" floppy disks which I actually did use once.

That's how I came into the Progress world ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

oldguy

OK - you all have convinced my to use OpenEdge10. Now - if I can only get the widow to a size I can read !!!

Thany you all for your comments and help - I appreciate it

RealHeavyDude

Each Progress/OpenEdge session started with the prowin32.exe ( the GUI executable ) uses a progress.ini. During installation it will get imported in the registry. If you don't specify otherwise the settings it contains will be taken from the registry ( look at the -basekey and -ininame startup parameters to see how you can change the default behavior if you don't like it ). The settings will also contain the font sizes which you can change so that they are bigger and you can read them.

Is that what you're looking for?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

ArthurFink

And, of course, version 10 has a ChUI executable as well -- _progress.exe.

If you run this by itself it will create a dos window 80 wide by 300 high. Click on the upper left, choose 'properties', and change that to 80 x 24 or 80 x 25.

But better to run the shortcut pro.bat.

I've code that was written in Progress version 3 that still runs on v10 ChUI!