Progress Guys

Hi folks,

This is a kinda follow on from an earlier post about a big Progress customer someone had seen - sorry, I was flicking through really quickly and can't remember who posted it :)

Anyway, one of my big problems with Progress is that I know it's damm good, and Progress know it's damm good, yet, hardly anyone has heard of it !!

Yet, my account manager actually came up with the following statement :

'Apart from SAP (spit), Progress has more bums on seats that any other vendor' - hmmm - comments please folks - I think personally he's had too many 'wacky cigs' or he's seriously playing with statistics ....

Anyone heard of any big guys who use Progress - come on - lets build up a fairly decent list -

I can't add many here cos' I don't know any really big multi-nationals who use it (bit embaressing as I've been working with Progress for 12+ years).

Have a nice weekend. :awink:

Cheers,
Dave.

gcampbell

hi Dave,

He is probably referring to the facts that Progress posted (see below).

The main reason that no one knows who Progress is, is that they are sold as an embedded part of a VARs (ISVs .. whatever) app. People know that they are using such-and-such an application (like MFG/PRO) but they don't know that it is written/running using Progress. SAP (Oracle etc) themselves sell their own products and other (consultants or companies) modify for specific industries.

A nice option would be for Progress to sell Enteprise licences (like Oracle) but even that may not matter for the databse.

Anyway, personally I know of quite a lot of large companies that utilize Progress technology (even given that some of the users don't know it). Some examples that I can provide include 60% of the Oil and Gas producers in Canada (including Shell Canada, CNRL, ConocoPhillips, Talisman etc), Schlumberger, Mackenzie Financial, Fidelity Insurance, Kal Tire, and the list goes on. These names may not mean very much to you but these are companies with revenues in the multi-millions (some sometimes billions) of dollars.

And to be quite honest with you, you will never get a list of clients from Progress (or their VARS) because they don't want 'YOU' to have a list.

Later,
Gordon.

----------------------------- Facts

Over 50% of Fortune 500 and 80% of Fortune 100 companies use Progress-based solutions.

Progress applications are used by over 2 million people worldwide, second only to SAP.

Globally, Progress application partners realize $5.0 billion annually in total application
revenue, second only to SAP.

Over 2,000 application partners have built mission-critical applications with Progress
products, more than with any other technology vendor.

Progress partners sell over 5,000 distinct applications built on Progress technology.

Progress sells to over 50,000 end user organizations worldwide, far more than Oracle Apps, J.D. Edwards, or PeopleSoft—and second only to SAP.

Progress products are deployed in more than 100,000 sites worldwide.

Progress products are installed in over 120 countries worldwide.

Progress products are deployed at top companies in many industries, including:
• 10 of the top 10 automotive and parts companies
• 8 of the top 10 food companies
• 8 of the top 10 industrial equipment companies
• 8 of the top 10 chemical companies
• 8 of the top 10 aerospace and defense companies
• 8 of the 10 top commercial banks
• 7 of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies