[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: The secrets of Master Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Potemkin

> I don't suppose that the _Block VST will ever be of any use in this endeavor? Would it be useful a 4GL program that can read and parse the database blocks from disk? I think it could be used: 1. as a quick check after the 1124’s: “Wrong dbkey in block”; 2. to identify the objects that own the blocks reported by after-image scan or by Status: Blocked Clients in promon or by _Connect-Wait* or by Status: Buffer Lock Queue. A “plugin” to convert dbkeys in after -image scan into the object’s IDs and/or object’s names can significantly slow down the scan of AI files. Would the new information worth the time lost during the scan? It’s not hard to write a program that would parse only the block headers. Though my first attempt was failed due to a Progress bug: sometimes Progress read data from a wrong offset when the offset was larger than 2GB. I hope the bug is fixed now. Also program could optionally parse the context of whole block using the same trick as the viewdbblock script.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.