[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: SYSTEM ERROR: I/O error 2 while compiling code

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Another follow-up on this error... knowledgebase.progress.com/.../abl-compile-statement-fails-and-crashes-avm-with-error-290 The defect is possible whenever anyone is compiling code in an environment where other active AVM clients are actively running. There appears to be no guaranteed way to avoid it, other than stopping the other active clients in the system (ie. you cannot compile in production, *and* you must create a single-threaded compiler that is isolated into its own private PROPATH). While it is considered a defect, my understanding is that the problem will not be addressed in 11.7.6 or 12.2. This seemed to be the first time anyone had reported the issue to Progress. It wasn't even clear what the expected behavior should actually be. It is not well-defined how things will behave if a COMPILE statement that is writing to a PROPATH while there are other processes that are running. The current behavior is not ideal, based on my testing. We are seeing process crash to the OS, without a way to intercede or change course. It will be really challenging for us to develop a work-around for this issue! Ultimately we would like to get out of the business of building our own compiler tools. I think Progress would prioritize this type of a bug if THEY were the ones trying to develop a compiler tooling that supported larger ABL projects. Hopefully that will happen some day.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.