[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Rare .Net OpenClient Error Related to Concurrent Creation of AppObject (CONNECT FAILURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

FYI, the concurrency issues were fixed in a hotfix for 11.7. For anyone who finds this post after googling "NameServerInterruptException" I wanted to add a bit more information on that topic too.... See in the posts above that I had been seeing some cases I'd observe instances of the exception NameServerInterruptException, which is especially interesting given that the PASOE architecture doesn't rely on nameserver. Progress.Open4GL.Exceptions.NameServerInterruptException: Connect Failure: Timeout or Interrupt occurred while attempting to communicate with NameServer. (8231) If this exception ever comes up, you should review the URL that you are using to connect to PASOE via APSV. Here is an image showing the underlying source of the error. Notice in the watch window at the bottom that I was using an invalid URL. Also notice that the stack is waste-deep in NameServerClient logic (which should not be relevant in any way to a PASOE connection, but this code-path must have been taken because of the invalid URL). Finally notice that the exception itself starts out as something totally that is not explicitly related to nameserver (ie. SocketException from UDP). We have been affected intermittently by this issue for many months. As it turns out, on rare occasion our URL's are malformed. It happens for reasons that are related to our custom code, and generally only in production. We would see NameServerException and really scratch our heads given the fact that we had already migrated to PASOE. The root of the problem was apparently in our own custom code. However the .Net openclient doesn't do us any favors where the exception is concerned. It transforms a SocketException into other types of exceptions, at several stages, and ultimately loses all the underlying details. The final output of Exception.ToString() is misleading and unhelpful. I'm also a bit surprised that the openclient code gets so far down the wrong path. You would think that a Url property would reject my malformed URL ("LumberTrack") at an earlier stage (by throwing an InvalidOperationException or ArgumentException or whatever that says there was a bad URL). Hopefully this helps other customers migrating to PASOE who might still encounter NameServerException.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.