[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PASOE "modules" and related compilation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Thanks for the reply. I see that PCT is a really important bridge for customers still using 11.7.x. Thanks for all the information about gradle. It seems like that will be something of a learning curve. I may hold off on learning PCT for now (and I was already dragging my feet in the first place). It seems like PCT might not be relevant anymore, after Progress starts guiding everyone to use gradle. It is really unfortunate that you aren't planning on open sourcing your gradle plugin. I don't understand how Progress can piggyback on the massive benefits of open source technologies (Java, Eclipse, tomcat, gradle) and then turn around and decide not share some the pieces of plumbing that relate to the compilation of ABL. Consider, for example, the parsing of the build configuration file in an OE project ... that really doesn't seem like a sensitive trade secret to me! (Or at least it shouldn't be). Will the gradle plugin be bundled with PDSOE or will there be an additional cost? Are you going to be charging an extra fee to use the plugin *outside* of the PDSOE in automated CI/CD procedures? I suppose the answers to these questions may explain your desire to not open source. Even then I still cannot quite understand the logic ... the compiling of ABL source shouldn't be a premium feature.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.