[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PAS timeout confusion (PASOE on Windows for version 11.7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Thanks again for your feedback Irfan. Here is the best KB article I've found (thus far) on how the idleWhatever timeouts work in PASOE: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../How-to-configure-PASOE-to-clean-up-idle-resources-automatically We have not yet implemented any idleWhatever timeouts, even though we'd like to. Without timeouts there are consequences to deal with (primarily memory leakage since agent processes can run for a week at a time). I'd say the biggest reason we've avoided idleWhatever timeouts is the fear, uncertainty and doubt. Why do you have to set two timeout settings in order for a single resource to time out ? If this is so safe, why isn't having an "idle" timeout the default behavior ? I don't want to be the guinea pig who is testing this non-default behavior. What harm would there be in making it the default behavior in PASOE to have timeouts? IE. force things that are "idle" to have a timeout, even if it was after an hour or more. The OEE screen makes these settings confusing. IE "session" can mean several things so why would I attempt to introduce a timeout if its not explicitly clear what is being timed-out? (Unfortunately the context tooltips in OEE don't make things any more clear) On the topic of the "idleResourceTimeout" property, that is a scary one.... My understanding is that by setting the one property , a number of separate timeouts will be taking effect at once!? How do I introduce only an agent timeout and not any other type of timeout ? Given the implied relationship between "idleResourceTimeout" and the other timeouts, why can't the OEE console group them together so that we can see this relationship? Otherwise it is not clear that which are the related settings that will take effect. I think most of my concerns would be addressed by a better user experience in the OEE console. There should be a grouping of timeout settings, and (if you still want to do it this way) a checkbox that enables them all at once. Internally the idleResourceTimeout can be handled as a checkbox because a timeout for activating a timeout makes no sense. Finally, the labels and tooltips could all be reviewed for clarity. Consider qualifying "session" with another term like "ABL session" or "HTTP session" or whatever. I haven't had a chance to review the OEE console in OE 12 yet, and maybe some of these concerns are already addressed.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.