[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Lots of file I/O related to a file named logging.config

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Thanks for digging into that for me. Here is performance profiling for the session that I'm working with. The dependency on application logging seems to come from the OpenEdge.Net namespace for HTTP/REST. Our rest method calls are pretty quick, and we are starting to rely on it. The only performance issue is when we make lots of REST requests in loops. The file I/O that is associated with this logging can be a fairly significant portion of the total. There are multiple factors involved. One is that we often host our session working directories on file servers (NAS). So repeatedly accessing the same file in the file system can create a network-related performance impact. As far as implementation goes, I noticed lots of static members in that "ConfigFileLoggerBuilder". Would it be possible to have a static method or property that adjusts the behavior of config and determines if config files should be read once per-session, or upon every REST call? I suppose I could manage my own static members as a workaround (eg. I might hold onto a long-lived copy of the same OpenEdge.Net.HTTP.IHttpClient and OpenEdge.Net.HTTP.IHttpRequest). But these things seem like they should be transient (unlike config, which is not edited often, and typically requires that an application be restarted.) As a side, is this "Consultingwerk" github repro the official one for OpenEdge API's? I've wondered that before. It is certainly the repo that comes up first in google searches.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.