[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: licensing question ("client networking")

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

When I ask how it is listed in the price list, I'm wondering if "client networking" is licensed per concurrent user, named user, core, or host machine, or some combination of those. Also, on the topic of batch (-b) client sessions, based on a quick test it seems possible to run these types of sessions from any server with an existing installation of "Progress Prod PASOE". That said, would it be permittable to run a batch (-b) from a server having only the PASOE license (purchased by core)? Or does that scenario count as using a "stand-alone ABL client" which requires us to purchase another license for our PASOE servers? In theory we could easily refactor batch processes and write them as a series of PASOE appserver calls but I'm not sure if OE licensing would demand that we do things that way. Is there a license associated with running stand-alone ABL clients (_progres) on a machine if they do NOT connect to any databases? Eg. say for instance that all they do is make remote REST and SOAP calls. Sorry for all the weird questions. The client/server improvements in OE 12 may open a whole new world for Progress OpenEdge deployments.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.