[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Identifier was left blank or is more than *32* characters (STATIC TEMP-TABLE AND DATASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I have a response from tech support and they confirmed that this is a limitation and that everything is behaving as expected. Additionally they suggested that I send feedback in thru the Idea submissions that are monitored by the Product Management team. I suspect the issue is based on the fact that temp-tables are internally implemented as "lightweight" database tables which exist only in the context of a session . I suspect that restrictions imposed on OE database tables are *also* imposed on static temp-tables and datasets. I had thought that there was a larger degree of separation between them, so that static temp-tables and datasets might be freed from some of the baggage that is otherwise imposed on OE database objects. For example, in .Net there are *lots* of different things that can hold data - generic collections of pocos, valuetuples, or ADO.Net datasets. These are created in the context of a given process, and they can hold data that is extracted from a database. But those collection constructs don't have any code that is shared with an actual database. There is nothing that makes them actually follow the same rules of an RDBMS database table.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.