[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Configuring -mmax on PASOE

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frank.meulblok

> I recently noticed lots of disk I/O in the *rcd* files in the temp directory and I suspect that r-code was being swapped in and out of memory. Indeed, the rcd* files are for r-code swapping and nothing else. So if you see activity there, that's hard evidence that you're swapping. And there seems to be a common misconception that just because -mmax is a soft-limit, you don't need to tune it. The thing to remember is that you start swapping when you hit the current maximum, and the maximum only gets increased when nothing can be swapped out to make room for more required r-code segments. For the rest: - It should be standard to override the -mmax for *every* application running a non-retired OpenEdge release. The default of 3096k predates 64-bit r-code and hasn't been updated to reflect the increase in r-code size that brought along. And even before then, it was already lower than optimal for applications that use a fair amount of code that persists in memory. (= Class instances and persistent procedures). - Increasing -mmax gives a roughly exponential decrease in the number of swapping operations. That means that up to a certain sweet spot you'll see a steep drop-off in number of swapping operations, past that sweet spot diminishing returns kick in (and hard). Every application will have it's own sweet spot. I'd suggest increasing in 4mb increments and monitor how much the swapping (= amount of rcd* file activity, or temp file read/writes listed in client.mon) decreases per increment.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.