[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: A hundred million rows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> you are on an old klunky HPUX server ... Is there any another kind of HPUX server? Do you suppose anyone is buying the "new kittson" version of the itanium chip? (Especially now that HPUX has an end-of-life date!) We do much of our preproduction work on an old processor (Intel(R) Itanium(R) Processor 9350 1.73 GHz). It has 8 logical processors which is fairly decent for a development box.... but any time our OE -related work is being done single-threaded (as SQL "create index" appears to be) then we have lots of trouble. Thankfully we have finally made a tentative plan to move off of HPUX but it is going to take a while! We are moving to Windows Server on modern 4 GHz x64 chips. Both PASOE and the OE database are running pretty smoothly on Windows, based on my testing. And the Progress tech support cases we have opened have gone much smoothly now that they are based on the Windows platform rather than HPUX. Since we are already on the topic of HPUX, has anyone heard of "project kiran" aka "Portable HP-UX"? In theory it is a binary instruction translator that will allow IA64 code from HP-UX to run seemlessly on Linux x64, to help with migrations.... I don't think it is supposed to be a full VM as such, but something along those lines. It seems a bit far-fetched to me and I can hardly find any references to this project in my searches (maybe it is supposed to be a secret?) The only place I found something was in a youtube video: www.youtube.com/watch Even if HPE is working on a project like that, it is doubtful that Progress would ever support the hosting of their OpenEdge product within that type of a container. I don't have much hope for "project kiran" ... but it would be interesting to hear what other HPUX customers think about it. I suspect this is just giving people false hope, and a reason to drag feet while staying on the expensive HPUX hardware for a few more years. >> The customer does not add new indexes to this table. Makes sense. I suppose much of the data itself is static too. The size of "index3" alone is huge! It is as big as you might expect for an entire ERP database.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.