[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: Pro2 - upgrade dbs from 10.2b to 11.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goo

11.7.5 We are going to upgrade to 30Gb databases that are running on 10.2b and are using Pro2 5.5. Everyting is running on vmWare, and the new server is a windows 2016 20Gb memory, intel xeon es-2690, 2.6Ghz (2 core). I have testet diff scenarios and it seems like it will take about 30 hours to load everything. I got 4 tables in each of the databases that has 30-40 million records. The backup, move of backups, restore and converting from v10 to v11 takes approx. 30 min., but the bulkload is where I need to see if it can be tuned. The test environment is much faster than the production environment. After going throught the load reports I can see that the production environment is up to 3-4 times slower then test environment. When confronting the admin people I was told that I could not compare the two environment, since the production environment was heavy used. I am not sure in what way, but they are using a kind of SQL server that mirror itself so that there is a failover solution. I am not sure if that is something that could make it go that much slower. 1. Would it be possible to take a backup of production i.e. two days before, and run a full convertion and bulkload, and at the upgrade day it will only read the stuff that is new? Is it so that Pro2 is using ROWID when checking for new records? if so, when doing a full restore, will rowid change? 2. Should I start one bulkload thread for each of the large tables, and use one thread for the rest? or should I just start loading with 5 threads, and let the Pro2 take care of the rest? Is there other consideration I should take?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.