[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: PASOE - memory ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

This probably should be a question with a simple answer, but the KB articles seem to be deliberately vague. When an ABL session in PASOE is allocating memory (in classes, persistent procedures, dynamic objects, static datasets, etc) then that ABL session will be the exclusive owner of that memory, right? Based on my experience, every ABL session has its own static members (on classes) and its own set of persistent procedures. The OEE console is able to enumerate the memory associated with a given ABL session as follows: Furthermore, o ne ABL session doesn't have responsibility, or capability, to maintain the memory of another session. Similarly an ABL session cannot maintain memory held outside of its session context. I am trying to open a support case with Progress about memory in PASOE, but first I'd like to know who owns the memory. We currently trim ABL sessions regularly (every hour) and it would seem to me that trimming the ABL sessions should implicitly trim any memory allocations that were initiated within those sessions. Can someone please confirm? Here are the KB articles I'm looking at. They get progressively more helpful in their suggestions for finding leaks, but NONE OF THEM seem to say who owns the leaked memory. If the memory is owned within the individual ABL sessions, then trimming the sessions should solve all our problems. knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Detect-PASOE-memory-leaks-with-Dynamic-Objects-Logging (11/6/2017) knowledgebase.progress.com/.../New-ABL-Objects-Tracking-REST-API-under-PASOE (5/29/2018) knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Overview-of-the-new-11-7-3-PAS-for-OE-Watcher-monitoring-tool 6/27/2018

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.