[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: How to programatically dump a subset of records from a table

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hutcj

What: Looking for a way to dynamically dump a subset of records from a table. The EXPORT statement does not support dynamic buffers, and the tables have too many fields to try putting all the data into a single variable to then EXPORT. Additionally, I can't just EXPORT each BUFFER-FIELD individually because that would add a new line after each field, and it needs to look like a normal .d file (fields separated by spaces, records separated by new lines) in order to load properly. Why: I want to generate a set of .d files that can be used to create a test database for testing the application against a localhost. Obviously, dumping the entire database is not realistic because it is too large. So, for tables greater than a certain size, I want to only dump a portion of the records (using prodict/dump_d.p works great for whole table dumps). Any ideas? How would you typically handle the maintenance of a localized test database?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.