[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: Has anyone tried PDSOE (Eclipse) for OE 12 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I've read the information that is available about OE 12 and I see a few notes about changes to PDSOE in OE 12. https://docs.progress.com/bundle/openedge-whats-new/page/Progress-Developer-Studio-for-OpenEdge.html I was wondering if anyone has started using it for day-to-day development yet. Can you share your experiences? At my company we aren't quite ready to migrate to OE 12 as a whole. But perhaps for development purposes I suppose I could start using PDSOE v.12 to edit code. Are there any compelling changes that will make it more productive than what we have in OE 11.7? One thing I keep hoping will be available some day is a way to build (compile) an entire OE project in a reasonable amount of time. It is impractical to use the PDSOE IDE to compile anything more than a few programs at a time. (Let alone a project with 1000 source files or more.) Does OE 12 have a way to compile code? I'm hoping there is a better way now; I saw that there was a referral to PCT in the link above ("What's new" ). The reference is found under the "bundled third-party updates" ( https://docs.progress.com/bundle/openedge-whats-new/page/Bundled-third-party-tool-updates.html ). And I'm wondering if PCT is now integrated into PDSOE to facilitate the compiling of a project (ie. right-click and compile). I suppose I can also use PCT outside of PDSOE, and keep compiling my code independently of the IDE. However I'm not all that interested in PCT in its own right; I'm more interested in a better development experience in PDSOE that supports compiling ABL programs and projects I suppose even if it doesn't compile code, OE 12 comes with a new version of Eclipse and that might be worthwhile. Please let me know if anyone has tried it yet. I think I have the OE 12 downloads available in ESD but haven't seen any discussion about PDSOE in the forums, nor heard any compelling reasons that would impact a developer's day-to-day work while programming ABL.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.