[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: Can start a DB with -S <ServiceName> defined in etc\services (Windows) - But cannot use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slacroixak

OE 11.7.5 on win2016 Most people know the hosts file in Windows\System32\driver\etc. Its seems very few know about the services file to define service names bound to service tcp/udp ports (one service per line), with a possible comment at the end of each line. As far as I remember, Progress has always been able to resolve a service name into a service port with that system file on Windows when starting a database, or on the client side for a 4GL connection. Today I discover DataDirect does not seem capable of using that system services file. The Windows ODBC Definition GUI tool lets me type a character expression for a service port, but the test connection buttons falls with the following warning message : --------------------------- Warning --------------------------- [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Number contains an invalid character: I cannot find a relevant KBase about that one, nor any recommendation about not using that services file. Does it ring a bell to someone on the forum? Is there a reason to no longer use that services file? --------------------------- Warning --------------------------- [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Number contains an invalid character

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.