Comment Progress Analytics 360 pricing

LarryD

A small rant...

After viewing the webinar on Analytics 360 BI, we thought it might be a good fit for a number of our customers. So we asked our friendly Progress sales rep for pricing... but I was rather taken aback from the quote of $20K to $50K per annum. Not a one time with maintenance, but per year.

While I'm fine with Progress charging whatever they want for a product, and I would expect that if we needed their assistance for set up to pay for the hours needed, this pricing model was quite a surprise.

Effectively, they are eliminating SMB's from sales, as virtually all of our customers would find this yearly amount to be way out of their budgets. Perhaps they don't care about that market.

Is this a hint of things to come as to pricing models, or is this a one-off that they want to reap cash flow from the Bravepoint purchase?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
That's quite steep! We've enquired about Pro2SQL in the past and the pricing model was very reasonable. But then that's a mature product.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Sounds like the classic problem where someone comes up with a product that can have high value for an enterprise business, so the price tag is set to reap the maximum gain from that business type, but small businesses who could use the product find the price out of reach, including ISVs who would like to include the capability with their product.

A sub-class of this problem is where the pricing is set appropriately if a company is going to make a heavy commitment to the tool, but there is no route to gradual adoption for someone who has an isolated use case or two to start with.

Michael Marriage

Just wanted to make a couple of clarifications on the pricing. The $50k pricing quoted above is for an on-premise implementation of Analytics360. That is a one-time charge and the usual annual maintenance would be applied. Note that this is the list price and any ISV discounts would be applied to that price. We do also offer the product in a SaaS model (subscription is more accurate) for end customers of our ISVs. The minimum fee for that is $5k per quarter and it is calculated across all of the end customers of the ISV. (Not per end customer/logo). There is no maintenance with the subscription model.

Indeed, this is a very robust solution that may not work for every small ISV, however, we do have smaller partners who are in the process of embedding the solution into their software offering. Keep in mind that Analytics360 includes not only the BI server but also an ETL tool, OpenEdge AEE database license, BI framework, and a selection of pre-built content. We do believe that it is very competitively priced when compared to many of the other tools in the marketplace.

I'd ask that you reconnect with your sales rep to go over the pricing again or if you prefer, feel free to reach out to me directly and I would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

Mike Marriage
Senior Principal Product Manager
mmarriag@progress.com

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, I just don't get these mainframe days prices.

We've rolled our own dashboards with sencha extjs quite smoothly I have to say.

We used OpenEdge for the backend (code and database) so there were no cubes etc. we just used denormalized data.

Is it that complicated today to rollout a few dashboards (The dashboards are part of a framework called BreadJs that will be open sourced soon)??

Progress analytics is more complete if they offer cubes, column databases etc. and an etl tool but it's priced as if they have a patent on BI.

By the way isn't OpenEdge mostly on the smaller ISV side? Maybe Oracle could say they are mostly Enterprise class customers because of their license costs?

We've also looked at Yellowfin which looks beautiful and doesn't come with a database or etl but the prices were still high and the licenses were non prepetual.

BTW if someone is looking for an on-demand, not an on-premise solution, I would recommend looking at Microsofts Power BI for about $9 a month per user. Hopefully, Power BI will be available on-premise soon.

Last edited:

LarryD

Now that the pricing has been clarified, I agree with Joey... it still is priced beyond most SMB's budgets.

I believe it's price competitive with QAD's BI product, and was Bravepoint's BI product offering that now is owned by Progress and was geared towards the MfgPro world.

While I can see useful benefits to SMB's, I can't envision our SMB customers ponying up that much for Progress Analytics. Being a smaller ISV we had hoped to offer this Progress pre-packaged solution tying into our applications, but not at these price points.

Thanks Joey for some other options that we will look at.