Progress 9.1d and vista 6.4

Brian

I am new to thie forum and hope that someone can answer a question for me.
I am not sure where to post it so if I am posting in the wrong place please advise me where I should.
We use Epicor Vista software ver 6.4 and use progress 9.1d database. A few of our new computers
have Windows 7 installed and we can't get vista to run under windows 7. It seems like its more of a progress problem that is why I am here but I really don't know. Can anyone let me know if there is a work around besides the xp shell and or a duel boot that I can do to get it to run under windows 7.

Thanks,
Brian

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Why is it that the OS is upgraded to the latest and greatest available release while your Progress is being kept at a release that is 10+ years old?

Brian

Progress has not been updated because vista has not been updated. There are a few reasons for that being 1 It works for us and don't fix what is not broke.
2 Epicor software costs way to much to upgrade or keep a contract with.
3 I don't know if just up grading Progress would work and if I could only upgrade progress
4 My boss is cheap.

Don't get me wrong I would love to get the latest and greatest I am an IT guy but see #4 above. So that is what I have to work with. All my testing and trial and error shows that progress 9.1d or vista will not run on win 7 but I was hoping that someone might have done something I haven't

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Personally I'd try installing OE10 in a test env and checking the software still works because it should. We didn't have to change anything upgrading our software.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
IF:
1. You have source.
2. You are no longer on contract with Epicor so you don't really care what they think.
3. You are on Progress maintenance.
It is a no-brainer to update a test system to the latest Progress version, make any necessary tweaks, if any, and then get your whole system on a modern version. NO COST and lots of benefits.