porting database from HP to NT?

sohr

Hi,

We are currently running an application using Progress v8.3 on HP-UX 10.20. Our
clients run locally, and we use Report Builder on Windows NT 4.0 for our reports.

My dilemma is I have a user who would like to design some reports using Report Builder. However, she is connected to the HP server through a 56k frame relay connection. This connection does not seem fast enough to design and test reports.

My idea was to make a static copy of the Progress database, ship it to her on a CD, and have her use that database file directly when designing and testing new reports. Unfortunately, I found merely moving the database file over will not work as Report Builder will not connect directly to an HP-UX made database under Windows NT. So somehow I have to convert my copy of the HP-made database into a Windows NT compatible one.

If I could I would just dump the database on the HP server, move the data files over to an NT box, and reload the data into a new database on the NT machine. However, our Client Software for Windows NT has only a run-time licence so, while I can create a new
database under NT, I cannot load any data into it.

Is there some other way to port the database over? Or is my only hope to pay $1600 dollars for the Developer's license for NT just so I can load the data files into
an NT database?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
-James S.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
James-

Personal Database for Win32 will do what you need. Dump the data and df on the HP box, then you can load it into the local database on NT. I think it's around $100-200 (sorry don't have my price book handy, but it's cheap).

HTH.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

rich_t

Hi,

The personal database option is ideal since you can then build reports whilst not connected to the network.

However, you might want to try and save the schema cache to the NT client and load that at startup. Compilations will be faster because they are against the cached copy of the schema.

To create the cache the command is:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">code:</font><HR><pre>SAVE CACHE COMPLETE dbname TO local filename.[/code]

Then when your NT client runs prowin32.exe use the parameter:

-cache local filename

The only downside to this is if you modify the data dictionary on the server you will need to save a new copy of the schema cache, or you will be right back in the same situation again.

Hope this helps.

Rich

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Arial, Verdana">[This message has been edited by rich_t on 14 June 2000 @ ]</font>

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
James-

Unfortunately there isn't a place to buy Progress licenses online (at least not yet). If you bought your existing Progress licenses from a Progress VAR/AP/ISV then contact them to purchase a license. If not, contact your PSC sales rep, or call the main number for Sales at Progress and ask the operator for the rep for your region. They should be able to give you the exact price and place the order.

HTH.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

sohr

Thanks for the help.

How does one go about getting a copy of
the Personal Database for Win32 software?
I've looked on Progress's website for sales
or pricing information, but could find none.
I've even e-mailed them asking for this
information, but have not yet heard back
from them.

Is there a place online where I can buy a copy?

Thanks,
James

sohr

Hi,

This is a great little board!

I finally recieved my copy of Personal Database for Win32! I dumped my table definition and data off of the Unix database and moved the files over to my workstation. However, Data Admin for Win32 wouldn't let me load the definitions or data...

I even tried running Data Admin with the -rx option-- it would then allow me to load the table definitions, but no data! I briefly spoke with Progress tech support, and they said that I also need ProVision or a 4GL license.

All I want is to make one static Win32 copy of my Unix Progress database-- I really don't need to write applications for the database, and I don't need to update the database in anyway once it is created.

Is there any other way to this?

Thanks,
James

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there! Glad that you've found this board useful
smile.gif

I believe that you should be able to do a binary dump and load of the data. Look up the details of the PROUTIL command, or post again here if you need some more details.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com