OpenEdge 10.1A database settings

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Don't you do backups now?

Haven't you ever done a test restore?

Sounds like that consultant might have some mentoring to do ...

And yes, lots of inserts and deletes over a long period of time may well be producing a lot of scatter. But, if you have a multi-core machine and workgroup, that is the first problem to fix. Does this server do anything other than Progress?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, then you might have a fix by disabling all but one CPU or locking the server to one CPU. Sorry, I have no idea how one actually does that. The alternative is a recent enough version of Progress, as Tom has indicated, or moving to an Enterprise license.

baddos

I've read this in the probkup documentation and wondering what you guys think.

"When restoring a backup, the target database must contain the same physical structure as the backup version. For example, it must have the same number of storage areas, records, blocks, and blocksize."

I'm assuming the extents are storage areas, so how could I consolidate these tiny files into a couple or large files when I do the restore?

I'd love to hire a consultant to help with this project, however we are a non-profit in a really bad financial year and can't afford it. :(

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Extent <> Storage Area

Storage area is a logical grouping of tables and/or indexes which one maps to some number of physical extents. Extent is a physical unit of storage on the disk.

You can restore to a structure that is different from the one backed up by deleting the existing database (after backup!) and building a new void database with the desired structure.