Answered Oe Replication Extents

bob

HP-UX B.11.31 (Itanium)
Progress 10.2B.
Hi,
I'm looking into implementing OpenEdge Replication Plus on HP-UX.
I've been reading through some of the documentation and some forums posts.
I'm unclear on a few points and I'm hoping somebody might be able to set me straight:
- Is it better to use fixed or variable length AI extents?
- If you're using variable length AI extents, how does OE Replication decide when to switch to the next empty extent?
Thanks for your help.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I'm not as experienced as other posters on here so don't take my word for it 100%, but as far as I know it doesn't matter whether you have fixed or variable AI extents for replication. The decision for that should be made independently of the decisions for Replication.
Replication doesn't wait for your AI extents to be full before sending them over.
Replication doesn't do the AI switching. The AI management daemon does that. On the source side.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Replication deals in "blocks" not extents.

You have to have after-imaging running as a pre-requisite for oe-replication. The easy way to do that is to use all variable extents and the ai management daemon. The daemon will manage the extent switching and archiving. If you have a very large and very busy (think thousands of TRX per second) system then you might want to consider using fixed ai extents. Otherwise variable extents are fine from a performance standpoint and they are easier to work with.

10.2B is at the end of its life. Your data seems to be important enough to protect with oe-replication so it should also be important to have it on a supported platform. You should upgrade.

bob

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I'll take a look into the AI Management daemon.
I expect the next move for this system will be an upgrade to a newer version of Progress.