New Progress SupportLink Kbase?

LarryD

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else find the new SupportLink kbase more user-unfriendly with less options than before (no email, no direct lookup of error numbers, etc etc).

I could go into detail of all the little annoyances that were not present before it was moved to salesforce.com , but in general it seems much more difficult to to find what I'm looking for quickly and just going back/forth between entries. Viewing kbase entry opens in new tab??? No back-button to easily return to entry list???? grumble grumble

I suppose I'll get used to it, but in my opinion Progress needs to do some work to make it easier to filter/find what you are looking for as well as just basic moving around the web site.

RealHeavyDude

IMHO, really IMHO: This is just another decision made by the Powers that be at Progress that I can't understand, not one bit. But, it just adds up to the evidence proofing that this corporation is run by people that don't understand what their customer base needs. In contrary I am getting more and more frustrated defending Progress in hostile environments, simply because running out of arguments. When I originally joined the Progress community it was relief to work with something which was based on the philosophy "we want to have it easy". Now it's getting more and more complex - but, not the product itself, but the corporation to deal with.

It's not just you - it's a lot of people which are p***ed off judging on comments in other forums. Sometimes I get the impression that we, the developers which try to hold up the Progress flag, are just some inconvenience they need to take care of - if we would not exist this corporation would be so much easier to run.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I've not even been able to look at the kbase online since the change due to not managing to register to gain access. Will stick to the downloaded version I've got for now. But yeah it's rubbish.

FrancoisL

One on my co-worker needed to use the KB at 10PM last night because of a database crash and a weird AI error. He was very happy to find a login blocking the KB (Why is this necessary , why does progress need to hide everything and go in the opposite direction is beyond me) and was unable to get information on his error because the stupid registration probably send your info to a hamster in a wheel that need to approve it by running in his wheel 24 hours ...

All this closed door crap at progress is really pissing me off , limiting us at every turn possible... KEEP THE KB AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE !!

webguy

I have to agree with you all. Progress does the strangest things. They've always been lacking in the newset web tech, but this latest change to their KB, its like they are locked into a time warp and they never left the 70's/80's tech company mindset. Does Microsoft, IBM, Apple force you to login to their KB? No. Progress ..yes. Whats the deal with that?

Secondly, I can somewhat see what they are trying to do. These days many high end sites build more intelligence into their search. More faceted results. Thats fine and all if it works. If you enter an error code in this new KB it doesnt hone in on that error code at all. It's like doing a contains keyword lookup lol. They should at least add options to filter your lookup for an error code etc.

Lastly, why are they using java or aspx? Why cant they build their knowledge base on their own highly touted products such as webspeed? This tells me once again , that Progress is being dependent on thrid party products and open source apps to compensate for their shortcomings. By the way, when the hell are they going to truly update webspeed?

sdjensen

OMG!
I tried to register and received an out-of-office mail from support. :-(

Does that mean that during the Boston event support is unavailable?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I had a brief exchange with a SupportLink guy here at Revolution and he said there is a new public URL.

sdjensen

Now I seems to be able to log in.

Please be aware that Internet Explorer 9 is not currently supported with the SupportLink application. Internet Explorer 9 users may experience unanticipated behaviors when navigating and using the application. Please use a version of Internet Explorer prior to 9, or another web browser.

Nice know after you are logged :-|

Is it just me or is the site running extremely slowly?
I still misses the search knowledge base for error number #.

if I search for "error#5560" then I receive a lot of results which does not contain 5560.

sdjensen

Am I the only one that has to login twice when following the link from the mail "Progress Alert and Notification Service: OpenEdge"?

:|