-n value maximum number of user

Mike

Hi Team,
Progress version :-9.1d
Os version:-Hp/aux

What will the maximum number of user
-n limit to connect database?
Is there is any limit ?

How many maximum users we can define in db startup -n?

Thanks and regards
Mike

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Is there is any limit ?
Of course. Every setting has a limit.

The -n parameter determines how many database connections you can have concurrently. It includes all types of connections (4GL clients, SQL clients, utilities, helper processes, etc.), except for servers and brokers.

The question shouldn't be about the architectural limits, which you aren't likely to require. The question is how many concurrent connections do you need, from a business perspective? And, related, how many are you licensed for?

Mike

Hi RO
Of course. Every setting has a limit.

The -n parameter determines how many database connections you can have concurrently. It includes all types of connections (4GL clients, SQL clients, utilities, helper processes, etc.), except for servers and brokers.

The question shouldn't be about the architectural limits, which you aren't likely to require. The question is how many concurrent connections do you need, from a business perspective? And, related, how many are you licensed for?
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response. Really appreciate.

Yes, My question is how many concurrent connections -n we can define is that any limit of maximum number of user?
And how we know how many we have for licensed for?

For example ,
-n = 65 users so up to how many users i can define?

Thanks with regards
Mike

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
how many users i can define?
The -n parameter doesn't affect how many users you can define, if by "define" you mean "create". The -n parameter determines how many users can connect to the database at the same time.

You can see how many users were purchased for each of the product licenses that are installed on the server, with the showcfg command (assuming it exists in 9.1D). The number of possible connections also depends on the database license type, i.e. whether it is Workgroup RDBMS or Enterprise RDBMS.