More information on index rebuild

cklapper

Hello out there!

On the weekend 18th of May until 20st of May i started doing a Dump & Reload on a 8.3d Progress database with MFG/Pro on top.

Before i started this Dump & Reload i performed a dbanalys on thet database. This dbanalys showed me that the database has a total size of 17 GB.
Everything, the binary dump, ascii dump, binary load and bulkload has gone fine.
For the idx-build session i created a sort-file including 45 directories each 450 MB and one directory for the "remaining" space up to the 2 GB limit. So the total sort space of this sort-file was 24,5 GB. Anyway, after formatting this sort space (took nearly 8 hours) and starting "sorting and index building group 7" the index rebuild crashed on group 2 because of insufficient sort space. How can this happen ? In every administration reference or administration guide you can read that a total amount of 70 percent of the db's high watermark should be enough for idx build. On that particular weekend i had to go back because i had no chance to get this environment running until the defined deadline. Any recommendations?
Hope my english is OK because normally i only speak / write "business english".

Greetings

Christian Klapper (Germany)