Error Message .. does not exist in promsgs file when 10.2b and 11.3 version installed on same machine

okion

Hi there,

I have installed progress 11.3 installed on a server where also a 10.2b version is installed.
The 11.3 version gives errors when starting the databases and appserver.
-Message number 16331 does not exist in promsgs file
-OpenEdge\tty\adecomp.pl has an incorrect version (found 7 should be 11). (1945)

When I copy the 11.3 promsgs file to the 10.2b map I got the message.
But how is it possible that 11.3 version looks into the 10.2b folder, while the 11.3 has his own map which is separate from the 10.2b?

The 11.3 has his own port numbers, which is different compared to the 10.2b

Progress run's at Windows server 2012.

It looks he got the wrong dlc or something.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

RealHeavyDude

If you have more than one version of OpenEdge installed on the same machine you need to be very carefull when using environment variables like DLC and PATH on the operating system level.

I explicitely define the DLC and PATH environment variables in every script to avoid exactly that: A mix and match of different OpenEdge versions.

Have a look whether your startup of the databases and AppServers relies on OS variables.

Since this is Windows you might also want to have a look into the registry settings ( HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PSC ... ) and which ini files you are using accidentally or on purpose ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

okion

Thx for the response...
Yeah I know that you need to be carefully.... I did the same trick on another server for the 10.1c and 10.2b version and that works fine:)
I did checked the registry(Winchar Startup, Startup, Work|Path and DLC ) and install directory if there was a wrong dlc or path link.
There it looks ok.
I exported the propath of the appserver to the server log and saw that the propath contains both maps, the Progress113 and Progress:
.,C:\Progress113\OpenEdge\tty,C:\Progress113\WRK,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\tty,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\tty\adecomm.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\tty\adecomp.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\tty\adeedit.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\tty\adeshar.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\tty\prodict.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin
The c:\Progress map is the 102b version.
It's unclear to me why the C:\Progress\... maps are added instead of the C:\Progress113\.
The appserver propath ends with ;@{WinChar Startup\PROPATH};@{WorkPath}
The workpath in the registry contains the C:\Progress113\WRK value. So the question is how the system determines the data behind the workpath...
So far I can see the setup does not rely on OS variables.
The admin server (both) runs on the local system account.
Do you have an idea?

RealHeavyDude

The PROPATH entries to the installation directory and the necessary procedure libraries that are residing there are added automatically by the AVM when they are missing. I suspect that you invoke the executable from the one version and setting the PROPATH for the other.

Some of the settings are fetched from the INI where others are directly set in the *.bat procedures in the installation directory that get tailored at the end of the installation due to the values you entered.

The INI is a different story: During the installation the progress.ini file is generated in the bin directory and transfered to the Windows registry ( HKEY_CURRENT_USER ) depending on your choice. If not specified otherwise this progress.ini is always and the AVM starts it search for it in the Windows registry and then in the directories in the PROPATH. You can tell the AVM that it should not search in the registry by specifying -basekey "INI" plus you can tell it to use a different ini by specifying -ininame which either must point to a file or a registry entry.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.