JSON on version of progress 10.1B03

JanF

Hello all,
Im trying solve one problem with JSON format. I need just write and read something from temp tables to JSON and from JSON to temp tables. I know its no problem to do it with WRITE-JSON and READ-JSON but problem is, this is usable just from version of progress 10.2+. And i need to do it on project which running on version of progress 10.1B03 which is not supported for JSON format if i know as well. So mine question is if it is available any solution to do that on this version of progress. I know u can parse it manually buts a last solution to do it. I heard something about to do it with XML format and using SAX-READER to parse it from XML to JSON, cause with XML progress can work from version 9+ if i know as well. So please if someone have experience with this or said me or post me any solution to create JSON format on this version of progress 10.1B03. Thank you very much for any response.

Have a nice day, with best wishees JF.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
10.1B03 is so ancient and obsolete that it predates the invention of the JSON format. So you're not going to find a solution here. And converting from JSON to XML sounds like using a hammer to crack a nut, when in fact all you need is to upgrade. 10.2B08 is actually not that hard to get to, but is equally obsolete. You should be aiming to move to at least 11.7.5 ASAP, or getting a new job. IMO.

Last edited:

Cringer

Staff member
In theory you're correct, but there are some considerations for legacy applications when moving to 12. There is no 32bit database server, there is no classic AppServer. My comment should have been to go to at least 11.7.5. ;)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Lack of 32 bit db server is a *feature*. Everyone should have stopped using 32 bit db servers at least 10 years ago.

Lack of classic app server is a bit of a pain in the neck but not all that hard to remedy. Or so I am told ;)

Cringer

Staff member
Absolutely on both counts. But one should give OE12 a little extra care and consideration.
The AppServer issue is indeed relatively easy, BUT, also costlier. Funnily enough.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Your advise is to go from an ancient version to an old version.
Why wouldn't you do the upgrade to 12.1?
We can only speculate about this particular application, given how little we know. Maybe an arbitrary OpenEdge application on 10.1B03 could be taken directly to 12.x without issues but it certainly isn't a foregone conclusion, nor is it necessarily the best thing to do today.

I am by no means an expert on this, but: if I were tasked with upgrading such an application, I would assess its readiness for upgrade and any potential blockers. I would consider factors such as availability of source, reliance on old frameworks, use of deprecated or de-supported features or platforms, and OS and third-party integrations (including the use of old controls and libraries). Note that "application" may not just mean the deployed components; it may also include the development/build/test pipeline if it is an in-house application.

Upgrading such an application to 10.2B08 is a no-brainer and doesn't even require recompilation. It would certainly yield some technical benefit, though little business benefit as this is a retired release. Upgrading to 11.7.5 is a little more work and might require a few remediations depending on the application but it is still well worth doing. That upgrade would yield significant business and technical benefit.

I wouldn't describe 11.7.5 as "old", personally. 11.7 only shipped in 2017 and SP05 shipped this year. The latest SP of 11.7 is fully supported and will be for years to come. It is the release I deploy on today. Although I am actively testing/certifying with 12.1 today, I don't think it's prudent to ship on 12.x yet. First, Progress has an established history of breaking things across major releases and KB-watchers have seen examples of that this time as well. Second, both 12.0 and 12.1 are short-term releases: they will never receive service packs so they don't make good deployment targets unless you are willing to upgrade again in the short term to get bug fixes. I believe 12.2 will be a good deployment target (assuming of course that an application can be made to be compatible with it), especially with PSC's shift to an LTS support model.

JanF

Yea this will be sweet solution.. but its not so easy to upgrade it to higher version on that project beceause what i wasnt said here is we using QAD too and that project have a kind of hybrid install progress + .NET + config. And too its not possible to use webspeed, cause we need comunicate with electronic cash register and thats why i need to parse it in progress. Ok we havent time to this and we start parse it manualy. Anyway thanks for trying to help me.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
In other words you haven't got time to do it right but you have plenty of time to do it over and over and over...

JanF

Why it will be not right ? Parsing manually its more work but it will be right solution. It was programmed in 2 days... So i dont know what you are talking about ?... I was hope someone said me solution on that version, but it isnt solution upgrade version, which is problem on that project how i said... So more time take me send mails and waiting for answers like programming manually parsing so i really dont know what your last post was talking about....

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
A couple of days here, a couple of days there. Pretty soon it is a full time job.

You are spending time working around problems that are much more easily solved in up to date releases. That is time that is not going towards efficiently delivering value to the business. That alone is reason enough to stay updated.

There are also all of the other reasons to stay up to date: performance, scalability, stability and security to name a few.

The business is not running Windows XP on the desktop any more. So why on earth are you still running Progress 10.1B?

As Rob says, the upgrade to 10.2b is a trivial first step. And it would indeed have solved your problem.

BTW -- someone just posted on Facebook's "Openedge Zone" about upgrading an application, written in 1984, from v4 to oe11.7. They needed to accommodate a single keyword conflict, tweak the propath, and update the shortcuts on the desktop. That was it. Application upgraded.