Error Invalid Version 908, (expected 1005)

JayKay

Hi
I am new to progress. We have 9.1D code which was recompiled under OE102B. All programs compile ok, but when I run the application and select a menu option I get the error "Invalid version 908, (expected 1005) in object file c:\progress102b\gui\adm2\smart.r. The ADM2 folder was not included with the OE10 4GL Development installation, so I copied the ADM2 folder from our Provision 9.1D setup.

My question is - can I get a OE10 version of ADM2 somewhere or can I recompile the ADM2 code under OE10.

Please bear with me as I am a novice. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Osborne

Firstly, do a search to check if smart.r may exist in another directory as on my installation not only does it exist in the main directory - C:\Progress\OpenEdge102B\gui\src - but also in a couple of others.

Failing that, there should be no problem recompiling the ADM2 code under OE10. Do you have the OE10 source files - c:\progress102b\src\adm2 - or will you be compiling the version 9 files? I do not know if there are any adm2 differences between 9.1 and 10 but hopefully it will work okay.

JayKay

Firstly, do a search to check if smart.r may exist in another directory as on my installation not only does it exist in the main directory - C:\Progress\OpenEdge102B\gui\src - but also in a couple of others.

Failing that, there should be no problem recompiling the ADM2 code under OE10. Do you have the OE10 source files - c:\progress102b\src\adm2 - or will you be compiling the version 9 files? I do not know if there are any adm2 differences between 9.1 and 10 but hopefully it will work okay.

Hi Osborne,
Thanks for getting back so quickly. I have to compile the V9 src. I do not see any other instance of smart.r. I may need further help as I delve into this. Thanks again.

RealHeavyDude

The code for AMD2/Dynamics is only shipped / installed with a developer license. The src folder contains the source code, while the gui folder contains the GUI compiled versions and the tty folder the ChUI compiled versions. These are not part of any runtime installation of Progress. If an application is based on them, whoever owns the application must take ownership of the frameworks too and take care of their deployment within the deployment of the application. Usually this is done by copying the respective directories beneath the application's root directory or somewehre else - NOT the Progress installation directory - and reference them in the application's PROPATH accordingly.

The reason why one should take ownership of these frameworks is because when they evolve compabiltity with your application might break. At a minimum you must re-compile every artefact of your application that uses parts of these framworks with the newest source. Furthermore many people customized them at least a little bit and these customization might break with newer version of framework.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

JayKay

Hello RealHeavyDude. Thanks for your reply. I do have a Development licence for the OE102B 4GL Development product, but could not find the ADM2 folder in the install. I have now recompiled the 9.1D ADM2 source under OE10 (thanks to Osbourne) and I can finally get into my application and all menus and windows appear to work fine now. Thank you for your deployment tips - I shall heed those. Many thanks again.

RealHeavyDude

You got me. They do come with the OpenEdge Studio license - which is what we are use here on Windows, but they do no come with the 4GL Development license - which is what we use on Solaris.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.