How To Convert Type I To Type Ii Databases .step By Step

Mike

Dear ALL,

How to convert Type I database to TYPE II. Please Help me.
Anybody tell me step by step .
What are the advantage over type I to Type II.

With regards

ForEachInvoiceDelete

Step 1. Create new type 2 storage area's.

Step 2. Dump data to .d

Step 3. Load data from .d into new storage area's.

Advantages.

No Physical table fragmentation. (So less need to dump and load)

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
One thing that's important with any D&L is to take a dbanalys output from before and after and compare the record counts for all tables. It's the easiest way to verify all data has been loaded. And backup the database before you do anything so you can revert easily.

Mike

Dear invoic delete,

Please help me.step by step.suppose I have progress 9.1d database so how can I convert into type 2 database .

Mike

Dear Tom.

Please help me.step by step.suppose I have progress 9.1d database so how can I convert into type 2 database .

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you can post an SSH login and credentials I might do it for you.

Otherwise I strongly suggest that you start by going through the PPTX above. If there is anything unclear feel free to ask questions. You will get better answers if your questions demonstrate that you have actually read the material and thought about it.

Step by step:

1) Learn about type 2 areas (see PPT above). You need to do this in order to make reasonable configuration decisions below.
2) Create a structure file for your target db
3) Create the empty target db
4) Dump the source data
5) Load the source data into the target db

Last edited:

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Good point. My apologies. I don't know how I managed to miss that. In my defense I can only note that the idea of anyone still being on v9 is just crazy.

FWIW OE10 is ancient, obsolete and nearly unsupported. There are no more service packs. Hotfixes are minimal. Progress' attention has long since moved on to better things. 11.6 is the minimum reasonable release to be on.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Mike,

You appear to be hoping that there is a simple, one size fits all conversion utility such as "proutil dbname -C convertT1T2".

There is no such utility.

You MUST think about and design appropriate storage areas for your database. There is no utility that will do this for you.

However, the presentation that I mentioned above should walk you thorough what you need to think about.

If you cannot do it yourself then you, or your employer, should hire someone to help you.

If you insist on getting free help online then you are going to have to start taking suggestions and answering follow-up questions. So far your history on ProgressTalk suggests that you are incapable of doing that. I hope that changes. I'd rather help you than ignore you. But I cannot help someone who will not listen or take advice.