How can I move a V9 Database

huegel

Can someone tell me how I can move a V8 database from one directory to an other ! Every time I try doing it, I can't start the database with _mprosrv.exe. I surely move all the related files too.
I would be happy if someone could help me.

Thank you very much
Manfred Hügel

mra

Junior???? Member
Are you using "procopy"?
You can't just move the database files using OS copy commands.

Regards
Mike ;)

jamesmc

I have successfully moved databases from one directory to another by just dragging and dropping in Windows Explorer as well as using xcopy. I find both of these ways a lot faster than using procopy. the databases aren't multi volume though, they are just single files (along with all of the necessary other files that is).

How are you trying to start your database back up again? Are you using a .pf file on your _mprosrv.exe command line? If you are you you need to change the path that is specified in the pf file as it won't be valid anymore (cos you have moved the db).

If that doesn't help, try and pro into it and see if it can at least still be opened.

Have you also tried looking in the log file, there might be some errrors in there that might give you a clue.

HTH,

James.

U

Unregistered

Using procopy is recommended. Especially with multivolume databases.

Using os commands will certainly copy the db files but starting a server or running db utilities is another story. Mainly because the db will think its db file structure is pointing at the original version.

For single volume dbs this should be fine.

YMMV
Andrew Fong