Forum Post: Re: Progress ABL = SQL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChUIMonster

You could always offer the embedded SQL as proof that the 4gl obviously does no such thing — if it did then surely that SQL syntax would be more capable. Also — if the 4gl engine knew anything meaningful about SQL wouldn’t it seem reasonable that 4gl triggers and SQL-92 triggers might cooperate? You are right. Your colleague is strangely deluded. I suspect an education where the only possibility for data access is SQL. Probably a kid fresh out of school. Certainly not an old fart who recalls the days when SQL was a bad idea gaining traction for all the wrong reasons while the 4gl was a shining beacon of reason and effectiveness. Friends don’t let friends write SQL and the 4gl does not translate awesome 4gl goodness to some sort of horrific SQL fuster-cluck prior to execution. On Jun 3, 2015, at 1:24 AM, Nigel Allen bounce-prosmart@community.progress.com wrote: Progress ABL = SQL? Thread created by Nigel Allen Greetings Just had an interesting "discussion" with a colleague of mine. He insists that when you run a progress query from the tram tracks, such as f or each customer no-lock: display name. end. Progress converts the query to SQL before running it. I argued that it did not - that it run native code and if in fact you entered a sql query, that would be converted to native code before running. Any input from the cognescenti (that I demonstrably prove) would be gratefully accepted - I could be quids/beers in here! Nigel. Stop receiving emails on this subject. Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.