Forum Post: RE: IS NFS viable storage for AI and DB dumps?

• Thread starter Rob Fitzpatrick
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Fitzpatrick

How big is "rather big"? Given the price of storage these days, why not provision as much as you need locally? That would include not just space for the DB and AI files, but also space for other things you do on a DB server: writing backups, restoring backups, D&L, archiving AI files, gzipping large files, index rebuild, etc. When you dump and load in the future do you want to be doing it across a network? It is a good idea to have your AI files on separate storage from the rest of your database (data extents and BI). However, I would not mount AI extents on a network path like an NFS or SMB share. You won't have the same reliability or performance as on local or SAN storage. I have tried using a remote directory on a DR box, mounted via NFS, as an AI archive directory (-aiarcdir) and that went badly. There was a network glitch, the mount became stale and didn't recover, and the AI daemon became unresponsive to any commands or signals. Ultimately I had to restart the DB to recover it. Now I configure the AI daemon to write filled AI extents to a local directory and then I move them across to the DR box. If you want to copy database backup files or archived AI extents to a remote directory via NFS, that shouldn't be a problem as long as you have some monitoring and error handling in place for any automated processes (e.g. rsync scripts). But don't put any part of your database on a network file system.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.