Forum Post: RE: Getting error while adding an index to a table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anzeljamal

Thanks Fernando for your information on this. But still i am confused with the concept. I am explaining you one scenario which i have tried. I have created a table test with three fields name(character), dob (date, not mandatory, initial ?) and class (character) and with an index name_idx with name field in it. This index is the primary index. I have created some data into the table with one record having an unknown value in the dob field. Then i have added a new index dob_idx which is unique, inactive and with a combination of fields, name + dob. Then i have rebuild the new index and changed it to primary. Then i have made the dob field as mandatory. and i have rebuild the primary unique index, dob_idx again. The index rebuild completed without any errors. Now i am trying to add a third index class_idx, which has only one field class and its inactive. When i try to load the df offline, i am getting an error as " **.dob is mandatory, but has unknown ? value. 110 ". So when i am adding a new index to the table, is it trying to scan through the entire data in the table ? if so, why doesnt it show the error while rebuilding the primary unique index ? The only difference here i am finding with my original issue is here i am able to retrieve the record with dob field equals ?, but in my actual issue, i couldnt retrieve a record with ? value. What could be the possible issue here? i am not able to get a clear idea on this. Please help me with this.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.