Forum Post: RE: AppServer Load/Performance Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheMadDBA

Load on the name server and broker should be relatively small, unless your application is connecting/disconnecting from the appservers way too frequently. Talk to your developers... ideal situation is connect at application startup and disconnect at shutdown. On AIX specifically we had issues with JAVA memory and broker hangs once we got past 60 agents on one broker. We "solved" this by using the name server balancer to have no single broker with more than 40 agents and just increased the number of brokers responding to the same appserver name. I believe the core issue that we ran into has been solved in newer versions of Progress though. A variation on your thought 1 is my basic approach... set 30-40 agents per broker and add more brokers to the balance... so instead of 2 brokers per nameserver.. use 3,4,10, whatever works. Don't increase the number of name servers unless you see some real reason to do this... and have it verified as the real issue by a consultant and/or PSC. We had one name server handling 60+ different brokers (not all balanced) and didn't have any issues with performance related to the nameserver/brokers. If you think you have adequately tuned the app and database.... do it again... and then again. I promise once you get the brokers set up properly your performance/scaling issues will have very little to do with their setup and everything to do with network traffic, app doing too many calls, reading too many records, database IO,etc.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.