Forum Post: RE: A Consultant's checklist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ke@iap.de

Hi James, for one customer I created a list of questions we handed out to the user. They should answer with yes or no and had some space for free text. (Translation is on the fly by myself from German :) ProgramName is always too slow? Starting takes too long? Programs start to slow? Are you able to show the problem? Reporting is slow? Sometimes application is a bit notchy? Sometimes application freezes? It getting more worse every day? It is worse every day? The I analyze technology, I use the monitoring tools from the OS (nmon, top, vmstat, iostat, Windows Performance Monitor...). Then we talk to the storage or hardware guys. Standard answer is: "My part is fast. The others are slow". Most times this is not true :) For OE I start with promon etc. and next is VSTs (for DB and program level). So path is: a) find out what means "slow" b) look at hardware c) talk to all hardware guys d) analyze DB and application with VSTs Sometimes it is easy (-B), sometimes it is medium level (VST), sometimes it is hard to find (SAN saturated, but that is hidden). Sherlock Homes is my idol :) Klaus

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.