Forum Post: RE: A Consultant's checklist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Koufalis

The very first thing I do is interrogate the customer. "Under-performing" is so vague that it could be anything. Some pointed questions can at least let me know if it's a new problem, an old problem, it's always been like this...etc. Then I want to know if it's a read or write issue so I ask a few questions around that. Also I want to know if it's at a particular time of day that it's bad as I don't want to be investigating at 1pm when the problem only occurs at 10am. With that info in hand, I start on the outside and work my way in: mem, cpu and disk are first. I'm looking for low-hanging fruit. Then I check all the DB startup parameters for any egregious errors (-B 1000). After that the path I take really depends on the information I've gathered so far. I can start in promon but protop gives me more information, more easily, more quickly and in a more condensed fashion (I'm not flipping back-and-forth through screens as much like in promon). And since it's tiny and free the client never minds that I install it. Paul

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.