Error with Progress

Hi RealHeavyDude,

You meant "YEAH!! You are my woman". lol

Quick question is Progress 9.1E compatible with Windows 2003 x64? That's what I have to find out for the PM.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hi Renee,

According to the Platform & Availability Guide for v9, 9.1E is supported on Server 2003, although there are some platform notes re 64-bit. Have a read through the linked document and in particular page 11 for some constraints to be aware of. Although running on a 64-bit OS your 32-bit DB is still constrained in terms of address space size.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Have I mentioned lately that 9.1e is ancient, obsolete and (pretty much) unsupported?

Windows Server 2003 isn't a whole lot better...

Is there some reason why you are not using a modern release on Progress on a modern Operating System?

RealHeavyDude

Please accept my apology. English is not my first language and sometimes I am having trouble associating a given name with a gender.

Apart from that: TomBascom + 1.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Hi Tom,

I currently have OpenEdge 10.2 installed but it's the application that is giving problems to run with that version. The application runs with Progress 9.1E and even the vendors stopped development at that version. The newer version of the vendor application runs with MS SQL now.

I have been trying to get the vendor application to run with OpenEdde 10.2 but I ran into alot of problems, hence my final option to revert to Progress 9.1E.

I am running out of options.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I get that.

But your issue is that you cannot currently compile it successfully on any platform. The reason is that you are either missing some source or you have your compile environment setup wrong.

Fixing that is not any more difficult for 10.2 (or 11.0) than it is for 9.1E.

I have code that I stopped development on in v4. It compiles and runs just fine on OE11.

RealHeavyDude

Again, TomBascom + 1.

As a prerequisite, before being able to compile the application under any other version of Progress or OpenEdge, you need to be able to compile it successfully under the current version. If you are not able you are pretty much stuck. But, your vendor must be able to tell you what you need to do to be able to compile your application under the latest version they shipped. IIRC, they made a statement that you have all the source code. If they keep telling you that they can't, then I would say that they are deliberately feeding you with garbage according to their own agenda. As soon as you have all the source code, a development license of the same version and the information how your PROPATH must look like there is no reason why you should not be able to compile the whole thing successfully.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Hi Tom,

The application is currently working on another server with Progress 9.1E installed.

I can't get it to run using OpenEdge 10 on the new server.

I am just confused as what to do now. I may have to explain again to the vendor and see what they suggest as as well.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Are you able to compile it on this other server? Or is it an old installation that someone else got running?

If you can compile it then you should be able to pick it up and do so on any other release of Progress.