Error while converting verison 8 to version 9

ss_kiran

Hi,
I am getting an error message

---------------------
mvGetRecord(drSetFileSpecial): field with -1. (6663)
Unable to Add new V9 schema tables - database corrupted. (6590)
--------------------------
when i am running the command proutil <dbname> -C conv89

i ran all the earlier steps from 83dbutils
first i trucated the bi
and made the database multi volume

Can any one help me on this

Thanks in Advance

Kiran

This is an odd one

The Progress KBase seems to suggest that it may be related to the PROMSGS file, so check that this is all in order.

Do you still have the 8.3 installation? Are your DLC and PROMSGS enviornment variables set correctly?

Otherwise I would scan the tables in the database for a field with the field number of -1. If there is one, then I would replace it with a new field.

Ultimately I would consider using the other conversion mechanism for the database which is to fully dump and reload the data. Dump using 8.3 and reload using 9. This gives certain advantages in being able to restructure the database to take advantage of the new features of V9.

Toby

ss_kiran

Toby,
Thank you very much for the reply. But the problem is we are using progress 91c and the database we received was from version 83A and we do not have this version of progress with us. So is there anyway we can repair the database with 91c.

Thanks in Advance
Kiran

toby.Harman said:
This is an odd one

The Progress KBase seems to suggest that it may be related to the PROMSGS file, so check that this is all in order.

Do you still have the 8.3 installation? Are your DLC and PROMSGS enviornment variables set correctly?

Otherwise I would scan the tables in the database for a field with the field number of -1. If there is one, then I would replace it with a new field.

Ultimately I would consider using the other conversion mechanism for the database which is to fully dump and reload the data. Dump using 8.3 and reload using 9. This gives certain advantages in being able to restructure the database to take advantage of the new features of V9.

Toby

Re-reading your post it would appear that you truncated the .bi file, made the database multi-volume and then ran a conv89.

Can you leave out any of those steps (such as the make multi-volume)? I suspect not.

Somebody out there may have a copy of 8.3A that they are prepared to lend you to recover the data. Progress themselves may come to the party if approached properly.

Is it possible this database was corrupt before you received it?

ss_kiran

It looks like the database is corrupted originally even before i truncated the bi and converted into multi volume database. That leaves me with only one option of dumping the .ds and .dfs by getting version 83A .

Thanks
Kiran

toby.Harman said:
Re-reading your post it would appear that you truncated the .bi file, made the database multi-volume and then ran a conv89.

Can you leave out any of those steps (such as the make multi-volume)? I suspect not.

Somebody out there may have a copy of 8.3A that they are prepared to lend you to recover the data. Progress themselves may come to the party if approached properly.

Is it possible this database was corrupt before you received it?