Error When Upgrading From Progress 8 To 9

Dan Johansen

Hi - we have an urgent question and wanted to post to this forum, also, in hope of insight. We have an old Progress 7 database that is being upgrade to the latest version. We are able to upgrade that DB from 7 to 8, but it routinely fails when upgrading from 8-9. We have seen it succeed a couple of times, but that involves a lot of varying factors that we have not been able to identify.

Instead of using the convert scripts, we are running the _proutil commands manually to try and isolate the problem. Specifically, "91_proutil.exe db_name -C conv89"

The error is mvGetRecord(drPopulateTable): failed with -1 (7065).

Also, we are running on Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit), but have also tried 32-bit versions. I'm currently re-installing the 32-bit version to try again that way.

Any suggestions or help?

Thank you!!

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
We have an old Progress 7 database that is being upgrade to the latest version.
Which version specifically are you upgrading to?

Also, we are running on Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit), but have also tried 32-bit versions.
I'm currently re-installing the 32-bit version to try again that way.
There is no 32-bit version of Server 2008 R2. Are you referring to a 32-bit version of a prior version of Windows Server, or are you referring to 32-bit/64-bit OpenEdge?

Are you able to ASCII dump your data (schema/users/table data) from the database in version 7 or 8? As was suggested in your thread in Progress Community, dump and load might be the way to go. And I agree that two days is an extreme, unjustifiable amount of time to D&L 4 GB of data on decent hardware. But I would have to know more about the specifics of how that test was done to pinpoint why it took so long. If you're doing ASCII D&L, you can improve performance somewhat on the load side by doing a bulk load with the indexes deactivated, and rebuilding them separately.

If you're on a maintenance contract, you may want to open a case with Progress tech support. They might be able to help you with the conv89 error. I can't find anything on that error in the KB.

Dan Johansen

Hi - we have an urgent question and wanted to post to this forum, also, in hope of insight. We have an old Progress 7 database that is being upgrade to the latest version. We are able to upgrade that DB from 7 to 8, but it routinely fails when upgrading from 8-9. We have seen it succeed a couple of times, but that involves a lot of varying factors that we have not been able to identify.

Instead of using the convert scripts, we are running the _proutil commands manually to try and isolate the problem. Specifically, "91_proutil.exe db_name -C conv89"

The error is mvGetRecord(drPopulateTable): failed with -1 (7065).

Also, we are running on Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit), but have also tried 32-bit versions. I'm currently re-installing the 32-bit version to try again that way.

Any suggestions or help?

Thank you!!

Thanks, Rob. We ended up staging both 2008 Server R2 (64-bit) and also a 32-bit install of 2008 Server. One of the suggestions in the Progress Community forum had been to try a full index rebuild after converting to the v8 database, but before continuing the upgrade to v9. That looks like it may have resolved the problem for us - we are seeing a few CRC errors after the DB upgrade but are looking into those case-by-case. I'll update the thread with the results if everything works well. Thanks for the input!