Error 6109 procopy to multi extent db

ADSaunders

Windows NT4.0, Progress 8.2C (I Know! .. I only work here) we had a corrupt block in an humongous db which now needs to be rebuilt. suspicion was disk error, so disk has been taken out of service, tested, reformatted (scsi) reformatted (NTFS) and prostrct create used to create the db. so far so good. We have a crc compatible empty db, so the next step is to use procopy basedb newdb to initialise the multi extent db. Bang!! every time:
Unable to read extent header, ret = 0, file = (one of the extent files) (6109).
It's not even the same extent every time.
Any suggestions Please!!!!
Regards .. Alan

ADSaunders

Error 6109 Solved

Solved it!! .. Memory ... memory ... memory!!
I knew the system was short of memory, even got some but the wrong spec was delivered and it wouldn't even boot!
I noticed that the error was ocurring at roughly the same place (between extents 19 & 25), and I tracked this down to other processes running ( more processes, lower extent #) So I increased the size of each extent to just < 2gb, and reduced the # of extents to 15 ... BINGO! no errors.
Suspicion was confirmed when I ran the server on the original database, then tried a single user session on the new database to start the restore BANG!! the same error, this time at about extent 8. Stopped the server, no problems.

BTW CRCCopy is brill!, the new database runs old .r files with no problems. Thanks are due to Grant & Keane Maizels at http://www.maizels.nu/progress

Regards .. Alan