Emea Pug Challenge Presentation Ideas?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Starting to consider if I can do another talk at the EMEA PUG Challenge this year and am all out of good ideas. So I thought I'd open up a thread on here to see if there's anything people want to see a talk on, that I might be able to put something together on.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
How about a look at the new capabilities in PDS around debugging and profiling and how they streamline the processing of troubleshooting performance issues, compared with the standalone tools of the past?

Or maybe talk about ABLDoc or ABLUnit?

Cringer

Staff member
Debugging and profiling is probably a good shout. Having changed jobs and now back on 10.2b for development I'm realising just how much better debugging etc is in 11.x. Adding in the new profiler is a good one too. It could basically be last year's presentation brought up to speed, but from a more general perspective rather than just queries.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Did you get a chance to play with the new profiling launch configuration and viewer in PDS while you were on 11.x?

Cringer

Staff member
No I didn't. I've got the Free 11.6 offering. Don't know if it's in there. If not we've got a PSDN subscription so can get 11.6 full from there no doubt.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It's a lot easier than the old method of producing the profiling data, loading it into the profiling database, and running the standalone profiler viewer.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Do you have SQL clients? You could mention new features like ADT (11.5) and ASU (11.6) that make life easier in terms of reducing or eliminating SQL width run-time errors without having to run dbtool all the time.

Cringer

Staff member
Not sure about SQL clients actually... one for my list of things to find out.

Cringer

Staff member
In fact I've had a great idea - I could do a talk on why you should upgrade. Based on my experiences of regressing between jobs. Kind of a reverse look at the benefits of all the new features in 11.x.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Good idea. I'm sure 10.2B still has a large install base and 11.x has an increasingly large number of features and benefits that those sites are missing out on.

Cringer

Staff member
I reckon most ISVs in the UK are still firmly ensconced in 10.2B. Certainly all the ones I've had dealings with are. I imagine that trend is present across Europe. So yeah, more motivation to upgrade can never harm.
It'll give me a chance to mix development tools and DBA stuff too.