documents which tell me about the Parameters to set for 64-bit

Dear All,

Let me tell ypu what I have done so far:)

I created a databse from a databse backup in 64-bit Progress DB environment. (This backup is from 32-bit db).

I started the DB in 64-bit DB environment. (OS:- R2-2008 Windows Server)

Then I connected a client (32-bit) to the above database. Same client setup I connected to another 32-bit database as well.

I am doing some performance testing for a program item.r. I am expecting GOOD performace with the client which I connected to 64-bit db but I could not see a betterment .

My questions are the following.
1. Should I create a databse from scrach in 64-bit environment? (prostrct create ....) ? Currently I did a backup retreival only.
2. Will it make any difference , if I comiple that .w against the 64-bit database?
3. Is there any guide lines to create a 64-bit environment . So that customer will get a good performance if they move to 64-bit? Any documents which tell me about the Parameters to set for 64-bit ?

Kindly help.
TIA
Philip

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1) No. There is no difference or advantage.

2) No.

3) From a performance perspective 64 bit enables the database to use more RAM by removing the 2GB addressing limit. But until you actually increase -B beyond that limit you will see no advantage. And if you did not have a performance problem that can be helped by more -B you will not see any benefit.