desperate cry for help

janjansen

I am a graduat student and have a progress-test next week. However, I encountered some
problems preparing
for this course. I'm sure these are all stupid little things, but since there is no
written course
whatsoever and the progress-help function isn't too obvious, here are my problems. I
sincerely hope someone
can answer (part of) them:
1. How can you create an extra column in a browse (meaning that this column doesn't
represent a database
field) that, whenever a certain value in the browse is empty ("?"), displays a message.
2. When I mark menu-options as being "toggle-box", they can be checked, but they aren't
automatically
unchecked when another selection is made. Can this only be solved by adding code?
3. How can I (slightly) widen columns of a browse?
4. When you use the alphabet-control panel to modify the content of a browse, how are you
supposed to create
the link between the control and the browse (using "filter-value").
5. How can I determine which fields should be listed in a Smart Option-panel (sort-by)?

I repeat, I'm an absolute beginner so show some mercy and HELP ME!!!

For anyone who bothers: my ethernal thanks ...

mra

Junior???? Member
You're not telling which version of progress you are using, and wether you ar e coding by hand or using AppBuilder.

I'm coding for version 9.0B using AppBuilder, and there you can add a calculated field from the field attribute section. The syntax could look like this: IF ( table.field1 = "" ) THEN ( "EMPTY" ) ELSE ( "NOT EMPTY" )
It translate directly into a display clause.

2)
What do you mean? If a menu is to be unchecked when another menu-item is checked, you have to code it by hand.
Use the menu-item attribute checked, and the value-changed triggers.

3)
At run-time, or during coding?
During coding, use the column-width attribute on your display clause.

4)
I don't know what you mean - sorry!

5)
I'm not using SmartObjects.

I Hope this helps!!

/Mike