Error Dead users in the system

Hypnos

We've got a weird issue. The system refuses the connection with the error "Too many users connected", even if we cut every connection to the server and everybody logs out. I managed to enter with promon lately and I saw a lot of users connected, but they are actually not connected. Somehow they stuck and died in there.

Another thing that I started to stop the DB, it gave me the message like "8 processes still connected". While it was shutting down I was in with the promon and it said that 0 Servers, but 45 Users connected.

We cannot see anything in the logs, there was nothing like this since we use this system.

The system:
IBM AIX 5.3
Progress 9.1D
I know it's old, but the company don't want to change it, we can't do anything about it and it worked fine until now.

Hypnos

We tried to stop the databases and other services, but it got stuck with the message "x processes still connected". I managed to stop the databeses once, but it took a long time and the db log was full of "user destroyed" messages.

We restarted the whole server with shutdown -r, it was the faster way. We still got the "x processes still connected" message, but eventully system restarted and everything was fine. No errors or any messages/warnings to be found that something happend.

Pechadre

Hello,

To prevent this, perhaps you can diseable the CTRL-C for each user. For instance, under Linux, in their .profile, you can add :

stty erase ^C
stty erase ^H
trap '' 2 3

Bests regards.