DB Blocksize

jglenn

I am running Symix 4.1 with Progress 8.3c on an IBM H80 running AIX 4.3.3. The database is approx. 9Gb with a 1k blocksize. Does anyone have a recommendation what the blocksize should be(1k,2k,4k,8k) for my database?

Hi, below is an excerpt from a discussion document I produced after a consultancy with Progress

"It was recommended that we increase the block size on our databases from 1KB to 8KB. This would bring the block size into line with that used on the UNIX box.
Investigation of the Progress knowledge base has confirmed that this will improve system performance by reducing unnecessary operating system reads (KB 18293)
It could, however, increase the size of the databases, especially if the majority of records on the database are of small size (KB 17004).
Having discussed these issues with the UNIX team, and given that disc space is cheaper to acquire than memory, the block size of the databases will be increased to 8KB."

The problem with the database size becomes less of an issue in Progress V9 when you can fit up to 256 records/block instead of the 64 allowed by V8.