Database Extents

Charl

Good day,

I am busy "fine-tuning" my SCO Unix server, that runs on a PROGRESS Ver. 9.1C database.

I did some reading, and came the the conclusion that there are Variable-lenght and Fixed-length extents. An extent is basically a space on the DB that holds transactions, and can accumalate in size.

I want to know how to check the database extents size, and to reduce it. Either manually or via a parameter in the DB Startup.

Any advice or info on how to do the above would be much appreciated!!
thanks,

charl

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1) You really ought to be posting this in the DBA forum.

2) You're running 9.1C? You need to upgrade. 9.1C is ancient, unsupported and buggy. There will never be another release of v9. The very last release of v9 was 5 years ago. That release is 9.1E service pack 4. It is vaguely supported -- if anyone at PSC can remember what v9 is they will try for a couple of minutes to help you with a problem. Progress OpenEdge 10.2 is the current release.

3) Yes, your understanding of extents is correct.

4) It would be more useful and important to understand storage areas. You might find this to be interesting.

5) You can find out all sorts of interesting things about storage areas and extents by examining the meta-schema and the VSTs. ProTop is an excellent example of a tool which does this. It even works with v9. And you get the source so you can use it as an example of how to get the information that you are after if you'd rather roll your own.

Charl

Hi Tom,

Firstly, thank you for giving me the advice you did. It helped alot in the sense of knowing what Im working with.

I tried to run the Protop utility on a testserver(RUNNING PROGRESS VER.9.1C12), but cant seem to get it running. I did create the dir (/opt/Protop) with the Base ProTop (Source Code, All Platforms) files extrated directly in that dir.

I was wondering if there are no default parameters or utilities I can try to run and get the size of the DB Extents.

My worry is that the size has been accumulating for the past few years, and I want to prevent anything going wrong in that aspect.
Much appreciate your input and help!

kind regards,

Charl

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Hi Tom,

Firstly, thank you for giving me the advice you did. It helped alot in the sense of knowing what Im working with.

I tried to run the Protop utility on a testserver(RUNNING PROGRESS VER.9.1C12), but cant seem to get it running. I did create the dir (/opt/Protop) with the Base ProTop (Source Code, All Platforms) files extrated directly in that dir.

Any particular error messages?

I was wondering if there are no default parameters or utilities I can try to run and get the size of the DB Extents.

My worry is that the size has been accumulating for the past few years, and I want to prevent anything going wrong in that aspect.
Much appreciate your input and help!

kind regards,

Charl

prostrct list dbname
proutil dbname -C dbanalys

Charl

Hi Tom,

I tried the prostrct command, and here(SEE BELOW) is what I could get, which helps me a lot. I monitored it for the past week or so, and it didnt grow by much.
Now my question is; how can I reduce the size of the extents?

Or can I set the data retention date lower?
Thank you and regards,

Charl

Area Name: Control Area, Type 6, Block Size 1024, Extents 1, Records/Block 32
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 32 KByte, Name: /u1/mdsdat/automate.db

Area Name: Primary Recovery Area, Type 3, Block Size 8192, Extents 1
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 3712 KByte, Name: /u1/mdsdat/automate.b1

Area Name: Schema Area, Type 6, Block Size 1024, Extents 1, Records/Block 32
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 2656 KByte, Name: /u1/mdsdat/automate.d1

Area Name: Index Area, Type 6, Block Size 1024, Extents 1, Records/Block 32
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 455776 KByte, Name: /u1/mdsdat/automate_7.d1

Area Name: Data Area, Type 6, Block Size 1024, Extents 1, Records/Block 32
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 1315680 KByte, Name: /u1/mdsdat/automate_8.d1

AND

Area Name: Control Area, Type 6, Block Size 1024, Extents 1, Records/Block 32
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 32 KByte, Name: /u1/mdstoy/automate.db

Area Name: Primary Recovery Area, Type 3, Block Size 8192, Extents 1
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 2688 KByte, Name: /u1/mdstoy/automate.b1

Area Name: Schema Area, Type 6, Block Size 1024, Extents 1, Records/Block 32
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 2544 KByte, Name: /u1/mdstoy/automate.d1

Area Name: Index Area, Type 6, Block Size 1024, Extents 1, Records/Block 32
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 554688 KByte, Name: /u1/mdstoy/automate_7.d1

Area Name: Data Area, Type 6, Block Size 1024, Extents 1, Records/Block 32
Ext # 1, Type VARIABLE, Size 1627136 KByte, Name: /u1/mdstoy/automate_8.d1

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
There is a database administration forum just a little ways down the main page from "Chit Chat" that would be a much more appropriate place to be posting this stuff ;)